Tuesday, January 17, 2017

2017 Teaching and Learning Symposium at UWM

On January 12 I had the pleasure to participate in the 2nd Annual Teaching and Learning Symposium at UW-Milwaukee. Organized by their Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, the symposium was an all-day event that brought together over 200 brilliant and enthusiastic teachers. I presented my emerging project developing a Framework & Freedom approach to increasing student creativity in the classroom. I proposed that 'play' is an ideal form of student engagement, where 'play' follows Marcuse's (1955) definition of an activity done for its own sake, not for an indirect benefit. I then led about 12 college teachers of diverse experience levels (and languages) through an exercise that taught the approach while modelling a Framework & Freedom approach. The entire packet of support materials - including the power point, in-seminar exercise, and example class exercises - is linked here.

No comments:

Post a Comment